aprin53

I claimed $2361 in damages from a lightning strike and only received $1060. from the insurance company why can't I claim this as a deduction?

Carl

Basically, because losses on personal property are not deductible, and never have been. In the past, there have been exceptions for those in a declared disaster zone.
TerryA

Are you filing a state return with one of these states? AL, AR, CA, HI, IA, MN, MO, and NY.
They do not conform to the federal law xmasbaby0 mentions. If so, please reply back and I'll outline how to enter the loss that may be deductible in that state after AGI limitations, etc..

Casualty losses are not deductible under the new tax law, except those in a federal disaster area.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing