robhumphries95

I am trying to deduct tools I have purchased for work and the tools are not being deducted in any way. I spent 3000. in tools and my total income was 12000

PatriciaV

Employee Job-Related Expense (like tools) is an Itemized Deduction. It's possible that this year you did not have enough total itemized deductions to be more than the Standard Deduction. If this is the case, your job-related expense would not be reported on your return.

See this post for a complete explanation: "How does the itemized deduction differ from the standard deduction?"

To maximize your itemized deductions, be sure to report your property taxes, charitable donations, medical expenses, and other topics under Deductions & Credits. (If you don't have these types of expenses, then you probably don't have more than the Standard Deduction.)

Use the instructions below to preview your Form 1040(EZ,A). If the amount under Standard Deduction is greater than that for your filing status, then your Employee Expense is included. (For example, the 2016 Standard Deduction for Married Filing Jointly is $12,600.)

1. Click My Account in the TurboTax header, right side.
  2. Click on Tools
  3. Click on View Tax Summary (see screenshot #1 - click to enlarge)
  4. Click on Preview My 1040 (see screenshot #2)
  5. Scroll to Standard Deduction (screenshot #3 - your return may look a bit different, depending on which Form 1040 you have)