amkap89

I am expecting my first child this month. Do I qualify for the monthly $300 child tax credit? If yes, will I automatically start receiving the monthly payments?

Bsch4477

No. The advanced credit is based on information from your 2020 return. But you will get the credit when you file your 2021 return. 

In a month or two there will be a portal on the IRS site where you can enter information for a child born in 2021 to get the advance payments.   You will need your child's Social Security number.   The portal is not working yet for new babies or for entering new banking information.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/advance-child-tax-credit-payments-in-2021