Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bmacedo69

I am an entrepreneur, and promote a health product, I hired a personal trainer to aid in my health and physicality. Are my expenses for a personal trainer tax deductible?

Being fit and healthy is part of my business as an entrepreneur. Because I keep very busy I hired a personal trainer to help me exercise. 

Is this expense tax deductible?? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

I am an entrepreneur, and promote a health product, I hired a personal trainer to aid in my health and physicality. Are my expenses for a personal trainer tax deductible?

This is will be a fact-based assessment because the IRS is very suspicious of personal trainer deductions.  I have seen it work as a medical expense when a physician prescribed it and there was documentation on the medical necessity for the taxpayer.

The IRS doesn’t allow anyone to deduct the cost of simply staying healthy, but they will allow certain professionals to deduct expenses related to their personal appearance.

For instance, bodybuilders can deduct the cost of body oils and other products that they use to improve the appearance of their skin. Professional athletes can deduct the cost of sports coaching or training for events and competitions. However, athletes generally can’t deduct the cost of dietary or nutritional supplements, because the benefits are personal as well as professional.

Essentially, anything that’s required for your business to run in an ordinary or necessary manner qualifies as an eligible business expense deduction so if you deduct it, be ready to explain.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieH1

This is will be a fact-based assessment because the IRS is very suspicious of personal trainer deductions.  I have seen it work as a medical expense when a physician prescribed it and there was documentation on the medical necessity for the taxpayer.

The IRS doesn’t allow anyone to deduct the cost of simply staying healthy, but they will allow certain professionals to deduct expenses related to their personal appearance.

For instance, bodybuilders can deduct the cost of body oils and other products that they use to improve the appearance of their skin. Professional athletes can deduct the cost of sports coaching or training for events and competitions. However, athletes generally can’t deduct the cost of dietary or nutritional supplements, because the benefits are personal as well as professional.

Essentially, anything that’s required for your business to run in an ordinary or necessary manner qualifies as an eligible business expense deduction so if you deduct it, be ready to explain.

Given what you posted, it is highly likely that the deduction would not pass muster if audited by the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies