Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a non-resident foreign investor who owns property in the US and gets income from it. I TurboTax right for me? Apparently, there is no option for non-residents.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

I am a non-resident foreign investor who owns property in the US and gets income from it. I TurboTax right for me? Apparently, there is no option for non-residents.

This is true, and you are right.

While TurboTax can complete most any type of tax return for United States citizens and resident aliens, at the present time we do not support the nonresident Form 1040NR series of tax returns.

As a nonresident, and a citizen of a foreign country (but with US-source income) you are classified as a nonresident alien under US tax law.  Thus, you will need Form 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) to meet your US tax reporting obligations.  Unfortunately, TurboTax is only intended for -- and only has the necessary tax forms for -- US citizens and resident aliens (but non nonresident aliens).

However, TurboTax has partnered with a company called "Sprintax.com" to offer certain nonresident tax preparation services.  They may be able to help you with filing a Form 1040NR; and most reports we hear are that customers are pleased with their services.  If you decide to go with them, then you won't need to find a specialized tax lawyer or accountant.  They can be a cost-effective way to take care of nonresident tax compliance needs, although they cannot help everyone under all tax circumstances.

In other words, there are some limitations to Sprintax.com's services, and they may not be appropriate for all international taxpayers.  But discussing what they may be able to do for you first, before paying them anything, would be a reasonable course of action to consider.

For further information you can visit them on the internet at:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

We hope this information will prove useful to you, and thank you for thinking of TurboTax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

This is true, and you are right.

While TurboTax can complete most any type of tax return for United States citizens and resident aliens, at the present time we do not support the nonresident Form 1040NR series of tax returns.

As a nonresident, and a citizen of a foreign country (but with US-source income) you are classified as a nonresident alien under US tax law.  Thus, you will need Form 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) to meet your US tax reporting obligations.  Unfortunately, TurboTax is only intended for -- and only has the necessary tax forms for -- US citizens and resident aliens (but non nonresident aliens).

However, TurboTax has partnered with a company called "Sprintax.com" to offer certain nonresident tax preparation services.  They may be able to help you with filing a Form 1040NR; and most reports we hear are that customers are pleased with their services.  If you decide to go with them, then you won't need to find a specialized tax lawyer or accountant.  They can be a cost-effective way to take care of nonresident tax compliance needs, although they cannot help everyone under all tax circumstances.

In other words, there are some limitations to Sprintax.com's services, and they may not be appropriate for all international taxpayers.  But discussing what they may be able to do for you first, before paying them anything, would be a reasonable course of action to consider.

For further information you can visit them on the internet at:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

We hope this information will prove useful to you, and thank you for thinking of TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies