I am a cosigner to my mortgage. My name is not on the 1098. Can my partner and I both claim the interest. We file separately.

Can we divide the totals on the 1098 since we are not married but both pay half? Both our names are on the mortgage. Only his name is on the 1098

Yes, if you are a home owner and you are a cosignor on the mortgage, you can divide the home mortgage interest deduction with your partner.  In Turbo Tax, there should be a question or check box to indicate the your name was not on the 1098/or you did not receive the 1098-- be sure to select this.  You should be able to contact your mortgage company and request that you receive a 1098 for 2017.

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing