Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already filed my taxes, but Turbotax did not allow me to enter my interest on my mortgage statement? Why?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

I already filed my taxes, but Turbotax did not allow me to enter my interest on my mortgage statement? Why?

Most likely, the program concluded that your standard deduction was a better choice then itemizing (entering your mortgage interest and SALT) given your financial situation.  

Under the new tax law, the SALT deduction (state & local tax, property tax, vehicle registration, sales tax) is capped at $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately). Prior to that, there was no cap. Taxpayers must still itemize to get this deduction – that part hasn't changed.

As a result of these and other tax law changes, our estimate is that nearly 90% of tax filers will now be taking the higher standard deduction, up from around 70% last year. And if you're in the 90% group, you won't see a change in your refund after entering your mortgage interest and property taxes.

The 2018 standard deduction is nearly double the 2017 amount:

$12,000 for Single

Add $1,600 if 65 or older

Add $1,600 if blind

$18,000 for Head of Household

Add $1,600 if blind

$24,000 for Married Filing Jointly or Surviving Spouses

Add $1,300 for each spouse 65 or older

Add $1,300 for each blind spouse

$12,000 for Married Filing Separately

Add $1,300 if 65 or older

Add $1,300 if blind

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TomK
Expert Alumni

Most likely, the program concluded that your standard deduction was a better choice then itemizing (entering your mortgage interest and SALT) given your financial situation.  

Under the new tax law, the SALT deduction (state & local tax, property tax, vehicle registration, sales tax) is capped at $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately). Prior to that, there was no cap. Taxpayers must still itemize to get this deduction – that part hasn't changed.

As a result of these and other tax law changes, our estimate is that nearly 90% of tax filers will now be taking the higher standard deduction, up from around 70% last year. And if you're in the 90% group, you won't see a change in your refund after entering your mortgage interest and property taxes.

The 2018 standard deduction is nearly double the 2017 amount:

$12,000 for Single

Add $1,600 if blind

$18,000 for Head of Household

Add $1,600 if blind

$24,000 for Married Filing Jointly or Surviving Spouses

Add $1,300 for each spouse 65 or older

Add $1,300 for each blind spouse

$12,000 for Married Filing Separately

Add $1,300 if 65 or older

Add $1,300 if blind

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies