Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA Medical Premiums

So I understand the 4 scenarios which you can use HSA funds to pay or medical premiums.  However, I do have a scenario which kind of falls in the middle.  I'm guessing the answer is going to be that we cannot use our HSA but figured I'd ask.  We are currently on my wife's High Deductible plan (I currently do not work).  She is losing her job and her last day is 2/12/24.  After that, she will be receiving severance for the rest of the year.  We do get to keep the medical benefits but our piece will not be taken out of severance and will need to be paid on our own (still at the group rate).  While we will not be on Cobra and technically not on unemployment, would we be allowed to use the HSA to pay for our part of the premiums or not since she is not on unemployment or on Cobra?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

HSA Medical Premiums

"We do get to keep the medical benefits but our piece will not be taken out of severance and will need to be paid on our own (still at the group rate)."

That is COBRA.

HSA Medical Premiums

It is not COBRA.  Part of the company's separation package is that she gets to keep the health benefits for 2 years after separation at the same group rate.  The only difference is that we need to pay the premium's out of pocket.  Once that 2 years is up is when we would need to change to COBRA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies