Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA contributions by employer

My employer has been directly contributing to my HSA as part of my benefits package (total of $500.00 for 2019), and I have also been contributing to the HSA with amounts (total of $2999.95) that get deducted automatically from my paycheck (included in the pre tax deductions section).

I have received my W-2, and I'm confused as how to report it into my return since the HSA contributions appear in two different boxes of the form:

Box 12: Code "W" and amount 500.00

Box 14: EE HSA 2999.95

TurboTax automatically detects the amount of box 12, but I'm not sure if the amount that is included in box 14 needs to also be reported somewhere else. Should that amount be included as part of my employer contribution so it ends up in line 9 of the 8889 form? should it be in line 2 (amounts you, or others on your behalf, contributed)?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Since the contributions reported in box 14 were made pre-tax, they need to be included on line 9 Form 8889 so that they are not deducted on your tax return.  

As you go through the HSA section of your return working through your HSA information, there will be a screen showing your contributions from W-2s and a box to enter contributions made personally by you.  This screen should show the Box 12 of your W-2 contribution amount.  

On the next screen where it asks “Did your employer tell you about any other contribution?” you should answer Yes.  Then enter the amount reported on the W-2 in box 14 in the third box labeled Employer and payroll contributions not reported in box 12 of your W-2.  This will report the contribution as a tax free employer contribution.

@DonGr

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Since the contributions reported in box 14 were made pre-tax, they need to be included on line 9 Form 8889 so that they are not deducted on your tax return.  

As you go through the HSA section of your return working through your HSA information, there will be a screen showing your contributions from W-2s and a box to enter contributions made personally by you.  This screen should show the Box 12 of your W-2 contribution amount.  

On the next screen where it asks “Did your employer tell you about any other contribution?” you should answer Yes.  Then enter the amount reported on the W-2 in box 14 in the third box labeled Employer and payroll contributions not reported in box 12 of your W-2.  This will report the contribution as a tax free employer contribution.

@DonGr

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies