Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How to file state tax for prior year with 1042-S as a resident alien?

Hi, I am a resident alien/ F1 student from China starting 2009. I have filed tax for IRS in 2014, however, I have a tax liability for Maryland in that year according to the record (somehow). Now I have only 1042-S, not w-2 for 2014. How do I file the state tax with this form in 2014? 

1 Reply
Level 13
Level 13

How to file state tax for prior year with 1042-S as a resident alien?

what I understand from  your post is that (a) you have been in the USA since 2009 and on a student visa ( F-1); (b) in 2015 you became a resident ( for tax purposes or green card ?? ); (c) for 2014 your income was ereported on 1042-S and therefore you filed 1040-NR with the federal Tax authorties; (d) for 2014 you did not file a Maryland tax return; (e) did you file 1040 for 2015 and 2016 ?; (f) did you file Maryland  or your resident state  for 2015 and 2016?

Below is a reference that I found  regading filing Maryland tax  returns for students with 1042-S { although this is from 2011 but the general information should still be applicable to 2014 -->

If you need more detailed help, please add your questions and answers ( to the questions above ) as comments to this

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings