Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

philip-b
Returning Member

How to check NO on Q. 2 on Home Mortgage Interest worksheet. The box for YES stays checked even when I click on the NO box. Bug?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

How to check NO on Q. 2 on Home Mortgage Interest worksheet. The box for YES stays checked even when I click on the NO box. Bug?

If you want the answer to be "No" to Question 2 on the "Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet", you will need to answer that your name is not on the 1098 in the interview section. This question is located on one of the screens that follow the Form 1098 entry screen. 

Please see screenshots below. 

If you did not get the 1098, you will need to enter who the 1098 was issued to, in your case it would most probably be the H.O.A. or management company. The information should be included on the letter you received, as well as your portion of the loan balances and interest. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

How was the interest reported to you?
philip-b
Returning Member

It was reported in a letter from the building management.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If you want the answer to be "No" to Question 2 on the "Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet", you will need to answer that your name is not on the 1098 in the interview section. This question is located on one of the screens that follow the Form 1098 entry screen. 

Please see screenshots below. 

If you did not get the 1098, you will need to enter who the 1098 was issued to, in your case it would most probably be the H.O.A. or management company. The information should be included on the letter you received, as well as your portion of the loan balances and interest. 

philip-b
Returning Member

TaxKrisD.  Thanks for your reply.  I always use the Forms mode.  I have been using TTax since about 1990, when it was a DOS program and there was no Interview mode.  I know US Taxes well enough that I have no problem doing Forms mode and I believe that it is significantly faster than Interview mode.  However, this answer is the second instance now where an issue that occurred with Forms mode would not have happened with Interview mode.

The other reply even pointed out to me that the quality and accuracy guarantee applies only to Interview mode users.  Honestly I feel betrayed and lied to, since that important exception is not called out in the marketing benefits bullet points.

Betrayed enough try out the competition next year.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

That is sad to hear, but I also use the forms mode. The interview tries to cover every possible situation and, for someone that knows what they are doing, can seem cumbersome. I will relay your concerns to my manager. I believe that the competitors have similar requirements (to go step by step by step by, well you get it) but to be honest, I don't know that for a fact. It would be helpful to use forms and have the interview question appear for the areas that TurboTax  (and the IRS) requires it.  Thank you for using TurboTax and we appreciate your input.
philip-b
Returning Member

TurboTaxKrisD.  Thanks for your most recent response an hour ago.  Please do relay my concerns to your manager.  if all the competitors also have this silly constraint, then there is no real reason for me to use TurboTax if the competition costs less.  That is, in marketing terms, there is no "competitive advantage."  I would be willing to pay a few bucks more for software that best meets my needs.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies