Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to calculate home office percentage if my office is a detached garage? Do I add the square footage of the garage to the sq. footage of my home to do the calculation?

My home is 2200 square feet. My business (two-story detached garage) is around 1000 square feet (500 on each level). Would my percentage be: 1000 /(2200 1000)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to calculate home office percentage if my office is a detached garage? Do I add the square footage of the garage to the sq. footage of my home to do the calculation?

Yes, you can use a detached garage as a home office. To determine your square footage, you will add the total square footage of the garage to the total square footage of your home

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, you can use a detached garage as a home office. To determine your square footage, you will add the total square footage of the garage to the total square footage of your home

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I have a follow up question. We also have an attached garage that is not used for business. Should I add the square footage of this garage to the total square footage of our home as well then?

Thanks,

Mette

PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, you would not include the square footage of your garage in determining the total square footage of living area. You would only include the living space of your home.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies