Solved: How to calculate home office percentage if my offi...

mettecole

How to calculate home office percentage if my office is a detached garage? Do I add the square footage of the garage to the sq. footage of my home to do the calculation?

My home is 2200 square feet. My business (two-story detached garage) is around 1000 square feet (500 on each level). Would my percentage be: 1000 /(2200 1000)?

MaryM428

Yes, you can use a detached garage as a home office. To determine your square footage, you will add the total square footage of the garage to the total square footage of your home

MaryM428

mettecole

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I have a follow up question. We also have an attached garage that is not used for business. Should I add the square footage of this garage to the total square footage of our home as well then?

Thanks,

Mette

pattif12

No, you would not include the square footage of your garage in determining the total square footage of living area. You would only include the living space of your home.

mettecole

Thank you!!