turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I find out how much I paid for vehicle registration fees?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MichaelDC

If you have no bill from your state or record of payment, you probably had to contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles. 

You may be interested to know that it typically is a rather small deduction and only used if you itemize (report a house mortgage, property taxes, high charitable donations, etc.) Consequently, by itself, it might not be helpful to you.

If you have any other details regarding this question, please feel free to post them in the comment section. 

More info: If you paid registration fees to a state that charges a tax based on the vehicle's value, you might be able to claim the deductible value-based (sometimes, ad valorem) portion of your registration fee. Every state has its own way of calculating the registration fee on a vehicle, and those calculations typically take several factors into account. For example, say your annual car registration fee is based on a formula that charges $2 per 100 pounds of vehicle weight, $1 per $1,000 of value, a flat $10 for license plate tabs, and $35 in other taxes and charges. If you had a 4,200-pound vehicle with a value estimated by the state at $25,000, then your fee would be $154 ($84 plus $25 plus $10 plus $35). Of that, only $25 would be an itemized deduction, because that's the only portion based on the actual value of the vehicle.

How do I opt out of this site I want to unsubscribe please do not send me any emails thank you
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You can’t deduct the total amount you paid, only the portion of the fee that’s based on your vehicle’s value.

And, not all states have value-based registration fees. The states that do are list below along with the deductible portion of your registration fee.

States with deductible car registration fees and which portion you're allowed to claim

States where you claim personal property tax in lieu of vehicle registration fees

Where you can find your car registration fees:

Related Information:

@Bigdaddy16

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How do I find out how much I paid for my registration fee?

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

If you do not have a copy of your receipt.  You can obtain a copy of your receipt from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).  You can also try to create an online account and view history depending on your state.  The vehicle registration fees would apply when itemizing your return.  To enter into TurboTax Online, follow these steps:

1. Click Deductions and Credits
  2. Click Edit/Add next to Vehicle Registration Fees
  3. Enter information

@dorothy1116 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies