How do I find out how much I paid for vehicle registration fees?

alexman359

MichaelDC

If you have no bill from your state or record of payment, you probably had to contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles. 

You may be interested to know that it typically is a rather small deduction and only used if you itemize (report a house mortgage, property taxes, high charitable donations, etc.) Consequently, by itself, it might not be helpful to you.

If you have any other details regarding this question, please feel free to post them in the comment section. 

More info: If you paid registration fees to a state that charges a tax based on the vehicle's value, you might be able to claim the deductible value-based (sometimes, ad valorem) portion of your registration fee. Every state has its own way of calculating the registration fee on a vehicle, and those calculations typically take several factors into account. For example, say your annual car registration fee is based on a formula that charges $2 per 100 pounds of vehicle weight, $1 per $1,000 of value, a flat $10 for license plate tabs, and $35 in other taxes and charges. If you had a 4,200-pound vehicle with a value estimated by the state at $25,000, then your fee would be $154 ($84 plus $25 plus $10 plus $35). Of that, only $25 would be an itemized deduction, because that's the only portion based on the actual value of the vehicle.

Blackeagle

Blackeagle

How do I opt out of this site I want to unsubscribe please do not send me any emails thank you
Bigdaddy16

DawnC

You can’t deduct the total amount you paid, only the portion of the fee that’s based on your vehicle’s value.

And, not all states have value-based registration fees. The states that do are list below along with the deductible portion of your registration fee.

States with deductible car registration fees and which portion you're allowed to claim

States where you claim personal property tax in lieu of vehicle registration fees

Where you can find your car registration fees:

Related Information:

@Bigdaddy16