Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I enter stock options from a foreign company?

I exercised stock options from a foreign company in 2016 (granted in 2011).  Proceeds from the sale were paid using the payroll system - and show as gross and net pay (taxes withheld).  Do I need to report this sale?  If so, how?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I can only guess that you both exercised and sold the shares on the same day.  That seems to be implied here though that "proceeds from the sale were paid using the payroll system" does seem very odd as that's certainly not what typically happens in the US.

If it is indeed the case that you exercised the option, sold all the stock, the cash was passed back to your employer who included the "profit" (the spread between what you paid to exercise and the actual amount realized on the sale) on your W-2 and withheld taxes, then I can't see how you have anything to report.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I can only guess that you both exercised and sold the shares on the same day.  That seems to be implied here though that "proceeds from the sale were paid using the payroll system" does seem very odd as that's certainly not what typically happens in the US.

If it is indeed the case that you exercised the option, sold all the stock, the cash was passed back to your employer who included the "profit" (the spread between what you paid to exercise and the actual amount realized on the sale) on your W-2 and withheld taxes, then I can't see how you have anything to report.

Tom Young

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this is exactly the case.  It was considered a "cashless exercise" and the spread/profit at exercise was included in my W-2 (taxes withheld).  Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies