turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I claim interest paid on a Student loan from a bank in Canada for an institution attended in the USA on my US resident alien taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

How do I claim interest paid on a Student loan from a bank in Canada for an institution attended in the USA on my US resident alien taxes?

If you paid less than $600 in interest, you might not have gotten a 1098-E from your lender. If you're not sure how much you paid, contact your lender.  You don't need to attach your 1098-E to your return.   It is entered in Deductions and Credits section, under Education, Student Loan Interest Paid.  

***The student loan has to be in your name.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do I just input the CAD dollar amount if the student loan interest was paid in Canadian currency? 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would have to convert the Canadian Currency amount into US dollars. You could do that by using the average exchange rate for the year as you probably made payments during several months of the year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies