Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I tell if my new furnace qualifies me for the home energy credit? It is propane but does that matter?

Is there a list somewhere that tells me which hvac units qualify?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

How can I tell if my new furnace qualifies me for the home energy credit? It is propane but does that matter?

Yes, there is.  Everything you want to know is in this link - - Energy Star Tax Credit Info.   Furnaces can be found in the menu on the left side of the page.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately I'm still not sure.  It's not clear.  The information on my furnace only partially matches a model listed on the website you mentioned.  But my furnace does have an Energy star logo on it so I'm still not sure.  The research required is so frustrating!  But I am doing my taxes after all!

TomD8
Level 15

Try this searchable database:

CEE Directory | AHRI (ahrinet.org)

It lists specific products that qualify for the energy credit.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

If you have trouble finding your model on the Energy Star site or CEE directory as mentioned in prior posts, you might try using the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating.  For 2023 that number needs to be equal or greater than 97% for your furnace to be eligible for the credit.   You can find the AFUE in a few places.  1.  In your paperwork from the vendor.  2.  On the faceplate on the furnace.  3.  Use the model/serial number for your furnace to check for the AFUE on the manufacturer's webpage.  

Remember on the Energy Star site an asterisk represents any number or letter; so if your model matches a qualifying model all the way to the asterisk then you are good to go.

[edited 3/18/2024 11:36AM PDT]  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

An oil, propane or natural gas furnace must "meet or exceed the highest efficiency tier (not including any advanced tier) established by the Consortium for Energy Efficiency which is in effect as of the beginning of the calendar year in which the property is placed in service."

Go to 

https://cee1.org/

Then click on Resources, Residential, Heating and Cooling, Qualifying Product List.

Note that an Energy Star rating by itself is not qualifying, unless you are certain that Energy Star and the CEE are using the same standard.  Also note that 97% AUFE may or may not be qualifying.  If the CEE changes their ratings, the law specifies that the CEE ratings control, not a particular percentage efficiency and not Energy Star by itself.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies