Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home Sale Exclusion-Problem with TurboTax Software?

I am inputting the sale of my home in Turbo Tax and it keeps telling me that I don't have exclusion on my gain, that my entire $210,000 is taxable income. The problem is, I spent 7 years as a tax accountant and have MSA in Accounting so I know all of my inputs into the system are correct. I have tried about 20 times and it still tells me the same. I've even gone through slowly to make sure I didn't miss anything. Bought in 2018 and sold in 2022 and was always my primary residence. 

I think there may be an issue on the page that asks "Did you use this home for anything other than your primary home?" The answer is no, it was my personal residence only. This section then explains "Let us know if there was any time after 2008 where you used your home for reasons other than as your primary home. If you used your home for reasons other than as your primary residence after it was no longer primary home, select ‘No’." If I select yes (which would be completely incorrect) it then asks me what I used it for after the sale of my home. So the statements completely contradict each other and I think it is throwing the software off. 

Anyone else having this issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The Note: on the page titled "Did you use this home for anything other than your primary home?"  is awkward but correct.  

Your answer should be "No."  Be sure the follow on question is answered correctly for your situation, "Did you sell another home within the two years prior to selling this home?"  If you answer "Yes" your exclusion will be eliminated.  If you answer "No" the exclusion should remain.  

If there are still issues.  Delete all the home sale information, sign out of TurboTax and clear your browser cache.  Here is a link with more details if needed.  Then sign back in and work the home sale again.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It was fixed but not by any changes made. I called into the support line which absolutely nothing was done other than trying to upsell me the Deluxe package for Live Tax Advice. I then just kept hitting "back" all the way to the beginning and then "continue" to the end without changing a single thing. Mind you, my answers were the original answers the whole time from my very first input 2 hours ago. After doing this enough times it finally gave me what I wanted and said I no longer had a tax obligation for the sale of my home. Not sure what could've happened but the only apparent fix was just cycling the same old answers I had been. 

Thank you for your help. 

Tmmchale1

The same is happening to me.  My gain is only $44k and I've lived in the home for 10 years.  I tried clearing the cache but TuboTax still tells me that I am not eligible for the exclusion.  Is there another fix I can try?

SharonD007
Expert Alumni

Review the answers to your questions because TurboTax only excludes the gain based on how the questions are answered. If that doesn’t work delete the home sale and re-enter it. To return to your home sale in TurboTax:

1. Launch TurboTax
  2. Type in home sale in the search box and select jump to home sale.

Please review the TurboTax article, Tax Aspects of Home Ownership: Selling a Home for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

enter your home sale directly as a 1099-B item.

the adjustment code for ineligible capital gains is "H".
the adjustment code for selling expenses is "E"

@Tmmchale1 

the only rational of the interview is to get those particular codes entered.

the tax program may not allow you direct access to code "H".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies