turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JC6

Home office deduction

I am a salaried employee at a major corporation, but I work from home (there is no office in my area). My home office is used solely for the purpose of working, and according to what I have read on the IRS website I qualify for the home office deduction. However, when I enter my home office through turbo tax, it appears the deduction is dependent on the self-employment income, of which I have zero (as I am not self-employed). Can you tell me how to get the full home office deduction using turbo tax based on my situation?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Home office deduction

It should be entered as an Employee Business Expense on Form 2016 and Schedule A.

Job-related expenses are reported on Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses).

1.       Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.

(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

2.       In the search box, search for 2106 and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

3.       At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation.

4.       Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.  

If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen instead, you can either Edit expenses for an existing job or click Add Another Occupation to enter expenses for a new one.

• Home office costs. The office must be your principal place of business and be for the convenience of your employer—not just helpful in conducting your job.

*As of 1/1/2018 you can no longer deduct Employee Business Expenses except in very special, limited circumstances.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Home office deduction

It should be entered as an Employee Business Expense on Form 2016 and Schedule A.

Job-related expenses are reported on Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses).

1.       Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.

(To do this, sign in to TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)

2.       In the search box, search for 2106 and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

3.       At the Tell us about the occupation you have expenses for screen, enter your occupation.

4.       Click Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.  

If you land on the Job-Related Expenses Summary screen instead, you can either Edit expenses for an existing job or click Add Another Occupation to enter expenses for a new one.

• Home office costs. The office must be your principal place of business and be for the convenience of your employer—not just helpful in conducting your job.

*As of 1/1/2018 you can no longer deduct Employee Business Expenses except in very special, limited circumstances.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies