Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Home energy credit for air conditioners - Turbo Tax max at $600, should be $1200?

Per the IRS publication below, the max credit should be $1200.  However, when I enter in Turbo Tax, it maxes out the credit at $600.   I installed 2 x air conditioners and should be eligible for $600 each, up to $1200.  I don't see any way to enter the number of units installed, only the total cost.

Home energy tax credits | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Home energy credit for air conditioners - Turbo Tax max at $600, should be $1200?

No.  The max credit is $600 for AC, not per AC unit.  So, it doesn't matter if you installed one or 5, your credit is limited to $600 for Air Conditioners. 

To get the $1,200, you would need to have done other things as well like windows, doors or insulation.  

The overall Home Energy Efficiency Improvement Credit is limited to $1,200 for all items but the biomass boilers or furnaces.  These two items allow you to claim an additional $2,000 for the Home Energy Efficiency Improvement Credit.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply.

From the IRS pub, this is what I am reading.  The bold line shows that it should be 30% of the cost, up to a maximum of $1200.    So, I'm still a bit confused how you are getting $600.

======Pasted From the IRS Link=====

These expenses may qualify:

• Exterior doors, windows, skylights and insulation materials
  • Central air conditioners, water heaters, furnaces, boilers and heat pumps
  • Biomass stoves and boilers
  • Home energy audits

The amount of the credit you can take is a percentage of the total improvement expenses in the year of installation:

• 2022: 30%, up to a lifetime maximum of $500
  • 2023 through 2032: 30%, up to a maximum of $1,200 (heat pumps, biomass stoves and boilers have a separate annual credit limit of $2,000), no lifetime limit

To clarify, I read it as 30% of the cost of improvements in those areas, not $600 per item type.

Trying to find where the $600 maximum is listed.

@sharpnado   IRS Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits instructions (2023) page 3 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5695.pdf#page=3

The credit limit for each property is as follows.
• $1,200 for insulation or air sealing material system.
• $250 for one exterior door and $500 for all exterior doors.
• $600 for windows.
$600 for central air conditioners.
• $600 for natural gas, propane, or oil water heaters.
• $600 for natural gas, propane, or oil furnace or hot water boilers.
• $600 for improvements or replacements of panelboards,
subpanelboards, branch circuits, or feeders.
• $150 for home energy audits.
• $2,000 for heat pumps and heat pump water heaters; biomass
stoves and biomass boilers

Thank, I just saw that as well.

Efficient air conditioners*$300

30% of cost, up to $600

Appreciate the input!

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

It is 30% of the cost of the improvement with a $600 maximum credit for central air conditioners

One more thing.  You say 2 air conditioners.  Are these central air units or window units?  Window units do not qualify for the credit.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Vanessa, I found the $600 limit on the energy.gov page.  

These were central units, not window. 

Appreciate the quick help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies