dvking2704

Hi, I work overseas so don't have a W-2. I have a foreign equivalent. Do I fill out the W-2 section with the information from my foreign document?

ChristinaS

No, you don't input as a W2 if you don't literally have one. Your employer won't have a US federal EIN, so you'll never get the return though.

Enter the foreign earned income here:

• Federal Taxes
  • Less Common Income
  • Foreign Earned Income and Exclusion

You are a US citizen or long time permanent resident, correct?

dvking2704

Thank you! Yes I am a US citizen. Do I need to Exclude my Foreign Earned Income?
ChristinaS

No, you don't need to exclude it per se... you still enter the income here though.
Have you had foreign earned income in the past? Did you exclude?
Once you choose to exclude your foreign earned income or housing amount, that choice remains in effect for that year and all later years unless you revoke it.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/choosing-the-foreign-earned-income-exclusion...>
Just be sure that you make the right decision about that.