Solved: Hi, I have an High deductible health plan, but I have incurred additional medical expense not covered through my medical insurance, can I still deduct those?

andrewr

Hi, I have an High deductible health plan, but I have incurred additional medical expense not covered through my medical insurance, can I still deduct those?

MichaelDC

Yes, you can. Any medical expenses for which you are not reimbursed, such as by your insurance or employer, can be deducted.

The IRS allows you to deduct preventative care, treatment, surgeries and dental and vision care as qualifying medical expenses. You can also deduct visits to psychologists and psychiatrists. Prescription medications and appliances such as glasses, contacts, false teeth and hearing aids are also deductible.

The IRS also lets you deduct the expenses that you pay to travel for medical care such as mileage on your car, bus fare and parking fees.

However, the IRS generally disallows expenses for cosmetic procedures. You cannot deduct the cost of non-prescription drugs (except insulin) or other purchases for general health such as toothpaste, health club dues, vitamins or diet food, non-prescription nicotine products or medical expenses paid in a different year.

MichaelDC