Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

conrad7k

Hi - I did TurboTax free and I can't remember if I did my mortgage interest statement or not. HELP!

I filed and my return was accepted, but then a few days later I got my mortgage interest statement in the mail and I panicked, not knowing if I added it this year or not? I did last year, so maybe I thought it did it automatically? Anyway - do I need to amend? Help! I'm not sure what to do :( 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi - I did TurboTax free and I can't remember if I did my mortgage interest statement or not. HELP!

If you used the free version, then you would not have claimed your mortgage interest.  

If you are single and your itemized expenses such as your mortgage interest, property taxes, medical expenses, and charitable donations are not more than $12,000 then it would not do you any good to amend your return. This is because you can either get the standard deduction or the itemized deductions, but not both.  If you are married filing jointly, then the standard deduction is $24,000.

So, it is NOT something that you MUST include on your return.  It is something that you CAN include IF it provides you with a better refund or lower tax due. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

If you filed for free, you did not enter your mortgage interest or property taxes or any other itemized deductions...did you forget that you owned a house?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
conrad7k

You certainly don't have to be rude about it. No, I did not forget, but I am a very young homeowner doing this completely by myself and it can be overwhelming. But thank you for being a lovely human.

If you used the free version, then you would not have claimed your mortgage interest.  

If you are single and your itemized expenses such as your mortgage interest, property taxes, medical expenses, and charitable donations are not more than $12,000 then it would not do you any good to amend your return. This is because you can either get the standard deduction or the itemized deductions, but not both.  If you are married filing jointly, then the standard deduction is $24,000.

So, it is NOT something that you MUST include on your return.  It is something that you CAN include IF it provides you with a better refund or lower tax due. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
conrad7k

Thank you so much! A glitch happened when I was trying to file, so I ended up calling a turbotax rep and he told me that I just needed to do the free version, so I did. I had no idea that it wouldn't let me put in my mortgage interest statement, so I guess I forgot about it. I appreciate your help
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies