Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help with energy credit TurboTax nightmare

I’m wondering if anyone can help me deal with the TurboTax nightmare I’ve been going through for about a week, especially as someone who just TurboTax loyally for a number of years. 

I recently tried to enter an electric heat pump credit in to the home energy credit form 5695 for a second home that I own, but was rejected by TurboTax software, with the software denying me credits for any improvements NOT done to my main home, which is contrary to the IRS instructions. 

I spent hours on the phone with various TurboTax agents this week, all asking me to share my screen, all of which told me that TurboTax was working correctly according to their interpretation of the instructions. One agent told me the only way to get around it was to pay the filing fee, so I can download and edit the form manually. The only issue is with the online version of TurboTax that I’m using, I cannot edit the forms manually even after I have now paid.

Yesterday, I found a notice (https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/energy-tax-credits-deductions/home-energ...) that TurboTax had posted that is referenced in the below discussions, where TurboTax admitted that this form was not functioning correctly for a second homes.

When I called TurboTax again with this information, yet another agent claimed that her supervisor said everything was functioning correctly, and I actually had to email this agent a link to TurboTax, his own website, where she confirmed that TurboTax had now admitted that the form is not functioning correctly. And apparently supervisors at TurboTax were not even aware that this was an issue even when TurboTax itself  was posting notices about it.

Today, however, I noticed that the above link that TurboTax had posted about form 5695 not working correctly for a second homes has now been deleted, leaving me in limbo again. 

I am now left in a place where I’ve already paid for TurboTax, but cannot file my taxes with TurboTax because it is not working. At this point I would just like a refund from TurboTax so that I can go file my taxes somewhere else, but TurboTax is also refusing to issue me a refund, because all long they’ve claimed that their software is working properly. They have claimed that if they issue me a refund, I will essentially scam them and file my taxes anyway by mailing a paper copy of my form, which I’ve said is not even accurate. Unless I want to pay two separate filing fees, I can’t even go use another company right now.

Below are some other discussions wear the same issue is referenced. I am honestly at my wits end with this company. Is anyone here able to help?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/disagree-with-resolution-who-sai...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/turbo-tax-is-saying-no-credit-fo...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

As you've seen, the developers have repeatedly screwed up the form for the energy credit.  These are my suggestions:

Option #1:  Be very patient and wait a month until they finally figure out what they are doing.  Based on their history, I would NOT trust that it is working and filing correctly even after it SEEMS like it is working (wait a couple of extra weeks).

Option #2:  Switch to another brand of software (or go to a tax professional).  Contact support and INSIST on a refund and ask for the manager.  Or the manager's manager.  Or email Intuit's CEO (you can find the contact link online).  

Thanks for your advice! I wound up doing option 2 and emailing the CEO, and got a response! Someone in the President’s office got in touch with me. His advice was to answer that I had done work to my “main home,” and then take the credit for the second home. He said that since the amount of the credit was being calculated “correctly,” and I wasn’t actually claiming any money for my main home, he was “comfortable” with me submitting taxes like that, and that it wouldn’t trigger an audit. He said the issue would “probably” be fixed for next year. Given that a high level person was telling me to submit like that, I said that I would, but in hindsight, I should have pressed harder for a refund or a change to the program. I still do worry about submitting taxes that are technically inaccurate. 

I’ll probably wind up eating the cost of TurboTax, which I already paid for, and going to a tax professional or other company to get this done right. All very disappointing, and probably the last year I use TurboTax. 

@18161625 wrote:

He said the issue would “probably” be fixed for next year. 

That shows how completely broken Intuit is.

My recommendations for other ways to get your tax returns prepared: 

If you can find a GOOD tax professional, that is what I recommend (but I am biased because I am a tax professional).  They can make suggestion that a program doesn't do.  And because they know how the tax return works, they can spot errors and are dependent on a faulty computer programmer (there are many problems and errors in the guidance that TurboTax gives you).  And although it doesn't happen often there occasionally can be a HUGE impact on the tax return that more than pays for a lifetime of tax preparation.  For example, I had on client that I was able to save them $12,000 by doing one minor thing.  If they just followed the directions in TurboTax, they would have missed that.  There was another situation on this forum that a person was following the faulty directions of TurboTax, which led to the program telling them they owed $20,000+ MORE than they were supposed to.  But it can sometimes be challenging to find a "good" one (as for recommendations from friends and family, and ask them WHY they like their tax professional).

If you decide on Do-It-Yourself software, I would look into TaxAct.  I don't have experience with it to know about any potential problems, but I like how it is set up.

Glad I saw this...my return was rejected even after the smart check at the end before submitting, because they said I left my property address out.  I added it in, and resubmitted.  It has been accepted, but my refund isn't in yet and I am certain it relates to this form!  I just have this feeling.  If TurboTax can't get themselves together to at least let people know what is going on, I am switching to a different brand next year.  Just to add, I have used them for probably 20 years now.

I added some windows and a new furnace in 2023, and the form just didn't seem right.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies