Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lifeofsam

I'm a auto mechanic, and I purchased new tools for my job, but only worked the job for 5 months last year before leaving it. How would I claim this?

It was roughly 450$, maybe a little more.  The tools were specifically purchased for the job, not for private use, but I only used them for the 5 months I worked for that company.  Doing basic math, that would be roughly 42% (8.3% per month x 5 = 41.6%, rounded up to 42%) of the year I used them for a business; is that what I claim? Or would I claim 100%, since the tools were intended for use at my job and nothing else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SharonC3

I'm a auto mechanic, and I purchased new tools for my job, but only worked the job for 5 months last year before leaving it. How would I claim this?

Hello,                   

Thank you for using Turbo Tax!

You can claim the entire amount of the tools if they were purchased for a job you held when you purchased them.  

The tools will be considered a job related expense.  Job-Related Expenses Deduction is that it is very difficult to qualify for this deduction. That's because the expense limit is so high. In order to qualify, your job-related expenses must be more than 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income).

Also, job related expenses are an itemized deductions.  

Taxpayers are allowed to reduce their taxable income by either the standard deduction or itemized deductions.  The standard deduction is determined by the IRS and is as follows:

·         Standard deduction for single taxpayers - $6,100

·         Standard deduction for married taxpayers filing a joint return - $12,200

·         Standard deduction for head of household taxpayers - $8,950

(If born before January 2, 1949, or blind, multiply the number in box c by $1,200 ($1,500 if single or head of household).

Itemized deductions are items deductions added together from your personal tax records such as mortgage interest, charitable contribution, medical expense, etc.

Turbo Tax is programmed to give you the higher of the two.  Turbo Tax will automatically give you the standard deduction for your filing status.  When your itemized deduction entries become higher than the standard deduction, the program changes to give you the itemized deductions. 

I hope this clarifies things for you.  If not, please reach back out to us. Thanks, Sharon

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SharonC3

Hello,                   

Thank you for using Turbo Tax!

You can claim the entire amount of the tools if they were purchased for a job you held when you purchased them.  

The tools will be considered a job related expense.  Job-Related Expenses Deduction is that it is very difficult to qualify for this deduction. That's because the expense limit is so high. In order to qualify, your job-related expenses must be more than 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income).

Also, job related expenses are an itemized deductions.  

Taxpayers are allowed to reduce their taxable income by either the standard deduction or itemized deductions.  The standard deduction is determined by the IRS and is as follows:

·         Standard deduction for single taxpayers - $6,100

·         Standard deduction for married taxpayers filing a joint return - $12,200

·         Standard deduction for head of household taxpayers - $8,950

(If born before January 2, 1949, or blind, multiply the number in box c by $1,200 ($1,500 if single or head of household).

Itemized deductions are items deductions added together from your personal tax records such as mortgage interest, charitable contribution, medical expense, etc.

Turbo Tax is programmed to give you the higher of the two.  Turbo Tax will automatically give you the standard deduction for your filing status.  When your itemized deduction entries become higher than the standard deduction, the program changes to give you the itemized deductions. 

I hope this clarifies things for you.  If not, please reach back out to us. Thanks, Sharon

lifeofsam

Since this was the only job I held last year, that 450 will be well over the 2% required.  Hope all the extra work pays off, thanks for the help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies