cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Is the Georgia High Deductible Health Plan deduction include just the annual premium? Does the deduction also include your HSA contributions?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 18

Is the Georgia High Deductible Health Plan deduction include just the annual premium? Does the deduction also include your HSA contributions?

The Georgia High Deductible Health Plan deduction includes only the HDHP premiums that are not already accounted for on the federal return.

However, since the HDHP premiums are normally not taxed at the federal level (they are reported with code "DD" in box 12 on the W-2), you don't need to enter them on the Georgia return, because this effect carries through to the Georgia income for state purposes from the federal return.

Therefore, you are unlikely to need to enter anything in this field on the Georgia return.

The Georgia instructions say

"The amount [for the premium and HSA expenditures] may only be deducted to the extent the deduction has not been included in federal adjusted income and the expenses have not been provided from a health reimbursement arrangement and have not been included in itemized deductions." See the Georgia instructions.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Level 18

The Georgia High Deductible Health Plan deduction includes only the HDHP premiums that are not already accounted for on the federal return.

However, since the HDHP premiums are normally not taxed at the federal level (they are reported with code "DD" in box 12 on the W-2), you don't need to enter them on the Georgia return, because this effect carries through to the Georgia income for state purposes from the federal return.

Therefore, you are unlikely to need to enter anything in this field on the Georgia return.

The Georgia instructions say

"The amount [for the premium and HSA expenditures] may only be deducted to the extent the deduction has not been included in federal adjusted income and the expenses have not been provided from a health reimbursement arrangement and have not been included in itemized deductions." See the Georgia instructions.

View solution in original post

Level 1

The 2017 package only specifies "Enter up to 100% of your annual premium as long as: 1) you didn't deduct these expenses as an itemized deduction and 2) your payments didn't come from a health reimbursement account.

I don't meet disqualification #1. As far as #2 goes, I realize that the HDHP premium lowers the AGI, but strictly speaking it is not part of federal itemized deductions either right? If that's the case, should I enter my premium, or do the instructions in the product this year need an update?
Level 1

Can you please suggest what needs to be done in this case. Even I fall under same category.
Highlighted
Level 4

Has anyone gotten an answer on this?
Level 1

You don’t report it again if it is paid pretax. You’ve already received a tax break on it so you cannot legally report it for an additional tax break.
Level 1

I think the intent of the GA law is that you should NOT subtract HDHP premiums from Georgia income if they were paid with pre-tax money, but the GA tax instructions are very unclear and seem to say the opposite. Shame on them for not explaining the rules clearly.