Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Handling mileage reimbursement when using actual expenses method

Say as an independent contractor, I choose the actual expenses method for my mixed personal-business use vehicle. Then, maybe next year (I am now locked into the actual expenses method), one client reimburses my mileage at the standard IRS mileage rate. Do these reimbursed miles still count as business miles in determining the % of business use of the vehicle (thus affecting my actual expenses deduction)? And is the reimbursement now taxable (regular income)?  I cannot find an answer in Publication 463 or Form 4562 instructions. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The business miles you drove are still considered business miles whether or not you are reimbursed for some of them.  

As an independent contractor, the reimbursement you receive is considered to be 'other' income for your business.  You would include the miles as business miles and deduct any expenses based on your percent of business use.  These deductions will help to offset the additional income you received as mileage reimbursement.  Claiming actual expenses, you may break even based on the reimbursement or have some extra income or extra deductions depending on your total vehicle expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The business miles you drove are still considered business miles whether or not you are reimbursed for some of them.  

As an independent contractor, the reimbursement you receive is considered to be 'other' income for your business.  You would include the miles as business miles and deduct any expenses based on your percent of business use.  These deductions will help to offset the additional income you received as mileage reimbursement.  Claiming actual expenses, you may break even based on the reimbursement or have some extra income or extra deductions depending on your total vehicle expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies