turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TXJen87
Returning Member

FORM 8889 HSAs: Turbotax is not generating a separate form for each my husband and myself

Instructions on form 8889 state:  If you are filing jointly and both you and your spouse each have separate HSAs, complete a separate Part 1 for each spouse.

1. My husband had no contributions or withdrawals from his HSA during 2023.  However, he still has an open acount with a balance. 
  2. I contributed the Family Maximum 8,750  but had no withdrawals during 2023. (old enough to qualify for the catch up contribution)
  3. We were BOTH covered ONLY under my FAMILY insurance plan

No matter how hard I try by saying my husband had HDHP coverage or didn't have coverage, I am unable to get TurboTax to generate a form 8889T for him.  Turbotax is generating a form 8889 for me (the spouse).  We used CPA's last year and had the exact same situation.  They included two forms in the return so I am assuming they did something right.  LOL.

In addition, in Part I line 6, Turbo Tax is entering the full amount rather than 1/2 per spouse.   

I am assuming Turbotax is not recognizing my husband's HSA since he had no taxable transactions for the year (and did not have a W-2 with the HSA box checked). 

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Otherwise I am going to have to manually create a form and file a paper copy--which does not make me comfortable. 

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

FORM 8889 HSAs: Turbotax is not generating a separate form for each my husband and myself

Your tax return should not include a Form 8889 for your husband if he made no HSA contributions for 2023 and made no distributions from his HSA in 2023, so you are seeing the correct result in TurboTax..

TXJen87
Returning Member

Thanks for the input.  These are the IRS instructions on how to complete FORM 8889.  It specifically states that both HSA forms need to be attached to the return (in multiple places) so I think the IRS is emphasizing that they want two forms even though TT is only generating one.

From the IRS instruction booklet for form 8889

How To Complete Part I
If both you and your spouse have HSAs, complete lines 1 through 13 as instructed on the form. However, if you, and your spouse if filing jointly, are both eligible individuals and either of you has an HDHP with family coverage, you both are treated as having only the family coverage plan. Disregard any plans with self-only coverage.

Complete a separate Form 8889 for each spouse.
Combine the amounts on line 13 of both Forms 8889 and enter this amount on Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 13. Be sure to attach both Forms 8889 to your paper tax return.

At the top of Part1 on the 8889 From HSA Contributions and deduction.  See the instructions before completing this part.  If you are filing jointly and both you and your spouse each have seaparate HSAs, complete a separate Part 1 for each spouse.

Has anyone else encountered this?  I just don't want to get audited.

dmertz
Level 15

See Who Must File on page 1 of the instructions for Form 8889:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8889.pdf

TXJen87
Returning Member

thanks  🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies