TXJen87
Returning Member

FORM 8889 HSAs: Turbotax is not generating a separate form for each my husband and myself

Instructions on form 8889 state:  If you are filing jointly and both you and your spouse each have separate HSAs, complete a separate Part 1 for each spouse.

1. My husband had no contributions or withdrawals from his HSA during 2023.  However, he still has an open acount with a balance. 
  2. I contributed the Family Maximum 8,750  but had no withdrawals during 2023. (old enough to qualify for the catch up contribution)
  3. We were BOTH covered ONLY under my FAMILY insurance plan

No matter how hard I try by saying my husband had HDHP coverage or didn't have coverage, I am unable to get TurboTax to generate a form 8889T for him.  Turbotax is generating a form 8889 for me (the spouse).  We used CPA's last year and had the exact same situation.  They included two forms in the return so I am assuming they did something right.  LOL.

In addition, in Part I line 6, Turbo Tax is entering the full amount rather than 1/2 per spouse.   

I am assuming Turbotax is not recognizing my husband's HSA since he had no taxable transactions for the year (and did not have a W-2 with the HSA box checked). 

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Otherwise I am going to have to manually create a form and file a paper copy--which does not make me comfortable. 

Thanks.