turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8606-T will not delete

The software thinks I made non-deductible deposits to my IRA in 2019 when I have not. I can't file because it's waiting for form 8606-T. I don't need that form--it will be empty because I did not make non-deductible deposits. I've followed the instructions to delete the form at least a dozen times. I've logged out and back in. I want to file my taxes instead of waiting for an empty form. Since the instructions for deleting a form you've given don't actually work, how can I remove whatever information is feeding into my forms that makes TT think I need this form? The amount of my non-deductible deposits to my IRA is $0. 

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Are these the instructions you followed and it did not work?

In TurboTax window,  to remove the form, here are the steps:

• Open up your tax return if you have not already done so.
  • At the right upper corner, select Forms mode/click on it
  • In the Forms mode, the left side shows a list of all the generated forms, locate and click on form 8606
  • At the bottom of that form, click Delete Form

Another way you can try is to use the above instructions to remove your Form 1099-R, then re-enter the information.  This time, make sure to answer the questions regarding your IRA contribution carefully.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don't know what you mean by "open the tax return." I don't actually have a tax return yet because I can't file it because of this form. Do you mean "open the software"? 

There is no forms mode in the upper right hand corner.

I have tried to delete the form using the tools, and that doesn't work.

And the live tax adviser closed the chat before solving the problem or answering my questions. I still don't know why I need this form when I have never needed to file it before. I did not exceed the maximum amount of contributions allowed to my IRA. I don't know how to get this form or who generates it. So I can't actually file my return. 

dmertz
Level 15

Form 8606 is an automatically generated form.  If you have made entries that indicate that the form is required, it cannot be deleted.

If you made no traditional IRA contributions, revisit the traditional IRA contribution section, indicate that you have a traditional IRA, then explicitly delete any contribution that you previously entered.  If that fails, delete the IRA Contribution Worksheet to remove all IRA contributions indicated for 2019.

TCW2
Level 2

Or if there is a bug and TurboTax incorrectly thinks the form is required, then you won't be able to delete it even though you don't need it (and even though the "Delete" function says repeatedly that the form has been deleted).  Nothing changed in my tax situation vs the past several years, and Form 8606 has never been required in the past.  I have not made any contributions to a traditional IRA in many years, and I don't see an IRA Contribution Worksheet, so I don't know how to delete it.  My only IRA activity this year and in past years were RMDs and partial conversions from a traditional IRA to a Roth.  

dmertz
Level 15

TCW2, your tax return indeed requires Form 8606 to report the Roth conversions.  You'll have to wait for the form to be finalized in TurboTax.

If you did Roth conversions from a traditional IRA in past years, your past years' tax returns were required to include Form 8606 as well.  However, perhaps in past years you instead did taxable rollovers to a Roth IRA from a qualified retirement plan like a 401(k) which are not reportable on Form 8606.

I have the exact same issue. And yes, the VERY EASY steps to delete the form were followed and yet the form won't actually delete even though it says its deleted. So my taxes are hung up and i cannot file because i have to wait on an empty form. This is unacceptable.

You helpful information does not help. Going back in to the form and making sure to answer no to everything does not clear the form out, nor does deleting the form using the VERY SIMPLE instructions on how t delete said form. I would think its a turbotax issue if more than one of us are having problems and YOU are the ones holding us up from filing.

Unable to delete 8606-t form

Ding ding ding. This is exactly what is happening they have a bug in their software that they don’t want to admit and keep sending customers in circles. My form won’t delete, they keep blaming the IRS saying that they are waiting on update when clearly this is not the case.

Brevity

I think I know what the bug in TurboTax is.  I have a pension, to which I contributed.  So, my contribution to my pension is not taxable.  My former employer sends a 1099R each year showing the taxable and non taxable amounts on line 1 and 2a and the difference on line 5.  IRA withdrawals use the same tax form and if you redeposited part of a withdrawal you made it would also appear on line 5.  Now I think TurboTax is acting as though the contribution I made to my pension plan many years ago is an IRA deposit and asking me to describe why I did this on form 8606T.  They could easily fix this error because there is also a check box on the 1099R which shows if it is an IRA or not and if it isn't their logic that creates an 8606T should not apply.  Until they implement this correction the 8606T cannot be deleted - it is like the undead!

dmertz
Level 15

"IRA withdrawals use the same tax form and if you redeposited part of a withdrawal you made it would also appear on line 5."

I think you mean box 5 of Form 8606.  Box 5 of Form 1099-R is not used for any Form 1099-R for a distribution from an IRA.  If the Form 1099-R has the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked (or has code J, T or Q indicating a distribution from a Roth IRA).  For a distribution from an IRA, TurboTax will ignore whatever is in box 5 since box 5 is meaningless for such a Form 1099-R.

Terry1701

I kept trying to delete the Roth IRA schedule and it kept coming back. I took your advice and deleted the 1099-R. When I re-entered it, all was well. 

Thanks!

I'm having the same problem.  TT created form 8812 even though I don't have children.  Now it won't let me delete the form and I can't file my taxes.  I called the 800 number and was told by the robot I had to pay extra since I'm using the free edition.  I paid $80 for the Premier Edition so I hardly call this free!  I've had nothing but trouble with TT this year.  Many, many annoying problems.  I think I'm done with TT!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies