Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1116 Schedule B - should sch B be filed for AMT if not subject to AMT

There have been numerous posts on the lack of Form 1116 SchB support and the recent fix but my question is different.  I have successfully e-filed with form 1116 and SchB carry over for regular taxes.  I also have carry over for AMT but have never used any and it has just been building up for last ~ 5 years.  It seems like the purpose of SchB is to put the data for the potential 10 year carry forward into a consistent format the IRS likes, hence new Sch B this year.  If I look at the pdf of tax filed, TTax did not file Sched B for AMT even though it did include it for regular tax.  If I dig around in forms view searching for 1116, I can find a form for AMT Sch B filled out with years of history.

My question is:  Assuming I may want to use some of this carry forward history in say a year or two, shouldn't this form been filed just to have on record what my carry over is... even though it has no impact on taxes due?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should file Form 1116 Schedule B.  However, the below notice has been sent to taxpayers regarding Form 1116 Schedule B.  

If your return has been rejected regarding Form 1116B, please know that the issue is being resolved in a product release scheduled for March 18, 2022. Your tax return now includes updated information to carryover of foreign taxes. On or after March 18 you'll need to sign into TurboTax, complete a quick review (steps below), and resubmit your return. Please note this is just for your federal 1040 tax return. To review and re-submit your return, follow these are the steps if you're using a CD or downloaded version of TurboTax:

1. Update TurboTax (visit our Support Site if you need help updating).
  2. Please review your answers under the topic of Foreign Taxes in the Deduction & Credits Section under Estimates and Other Taxes Paid. Make any corrections if prompted.
  3.  E-file your return (you won't be charged any additional fees).

Note: The calculation change may affect your refund.

@turbokarst

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I guess you posted this here as you were looking for customers mentioning form 1116 Sched B so maybe someone else would see it. 

Your response isn't relevant to the question I asked.  I have already filed, been accepted and actually received refund using form 1116 SchedB.  What I am asking is it does not appear it includes Sched B for AMT since I am not subject to AMT.  I may be in the future.  I ran a printout of "All pages required to paper file" and SchedB for AMT was not included.  I assume if I need to use my carryover in the future somehow TTax will keep it in background.  Please re-read my original post if need clarification.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

You mentioned you did find the form filled out with years of history. If this the case, Turbo Tax has a record of it that is stored if I understand your statement correctly.

The reason it wasn't in your list of forms to be filed with the IRS is because you did not have an AMT reporting requirement this year. Whenever there is a AMT reporting requirement though, Turbo Tax will have a record of all of the carryovers that have occurred. I would suggest either printing this Schedule B AMT or keep as a PDF to keep with your tax return each and every year you carryforward the credit for your own reference.

@turbokarst

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies