turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LMCO

Form 1116 is showing a foreign tax credit carryover into 2017. Overall I owe money and don't want to carry it over. Do I have to or is there a way to change it?

Last year under the same tax situation I received full credit and all information was input the same.  The taxes were paid on dividend income from Canada.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
gir0106

Form 1116 is showing a foreign tax credit carryover into 2017. Overall I owe money and don't want to carry it over. Do I have to or is there a way to change it?

The IRS, via Form 1116, applies a portion of your deductions to your foreign income, and then uses the result to calculate what per cent of your taxable income and taxes are attributable to the foreign income in that category (passive for dividends). The result is the maximum you are allowed to claim this year, which often results in unused foreign taxes which may be carried forward 10 years.  However, you may have made an error on the form.  Check carefully whether too many deductions were applied to the foreign income.  Also, for investment income, the IRS via Form 1116 bases the foreign income's share of deductions on the cost basis of the investments generating the income vs your overall investment cost basis.  That ratio will affect the % of investment deductions applied to the foreign income  -  the lower the ratio the better.  In summary: the maximum you can deduct is calculated in Form 1116 - so check that form carefully. Last year, if your total foreign tax was $300 ($600 if joint return), you paid all through a 1099, and  you had only passive income, you will not have filed Form 1116 and you had no limit on deductions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies