turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sumangandhe9
Returning Member

Foreign rental deductions

I recently bought a foreign home and started receiving rental Income. I know foreign rental income is taxable here, but could I add any travel deductions? I had to visit foreign rental home to settle a deal with brokers and set things up for marketed. Can I use my travel expense as deductions? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Foreign rental deductions

@sumangandhe9 wrote:

I recently bought a foreign home and started receiving rental Income. I know foreign rental income is taxable here, but could I add any travel deductions? I had to visit foreign rental home to settle a deal with brokers and set things up for marketed. Can I use my travel expense as deductions? 

You can deduct the ordinary and necessary expenses of traveling away from home if the primary purpose of the trip is to collect rental income or to manage, conserve, or maintain your rental property. You must properly allocate your expenses between rental and nonrental activities. You can’t deduct the cost of traveling away from home if the primary purpose of the trip is to improve the property. The cost of improvements is recovered by taking depreciation. To deduct travel expenses, you must keep records that follow the rules in chapter 5 of Pub. 463.

See https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527#en_US_2018_publink1000218997   and

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463#en_US_2018_publink100033810

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies