Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing an Scorp tax return and want to enter Auto Mileage not Depreciation, where do I enter this information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Filing an Scorp tax return and want to enter Auto Mileage not Depreciation, where do I enter this information?

Are you actually preparing an 1120-S for the S corporation using TurboTax Business?

If so, enter the vehicle in the Depreciation of Assets section (Federal Taxes tab>>Deductions).

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Are you actually preparing an 1120-S for the S corporation using TurboTax Business?

If so, enter the vehicle in the Depreciation of Assets section (Federal Taxes tab>>Deductions).

DawnC
Expert Alumni

S-corp tax returns can be completed using  TurboTax Business; none of the personal tax products will work for an S-corp.   The following is from Business Use of Vehicles.   

S Corporation

A vehicle used for business may be owned by the corporation or by an employee (even a shareholder-employee). The method of claiming the deduction will differ depending on the ownership of the vehicle.

Vehicle owned by an employee

If the employee (or a shareholder-employee) uses their personal vehicle for business on behalf of the corporation,

• The employee can submit a request for reimbursement to the corporation.
  • The corporation can then reimburse the employee based on the standard mileage rate.
  • The corporation gets a deduction for vehicle expenses paid.
  • The reimbursement is not reportable as taxable income to the employee.

Vehicle owned by the corporation

A corporation must determine the deduction for vehicles it owns based on actual operating expenses. The corporation is also limited by the business-use percentage of the vehicle.

The corporation can deduct all of the operating expenses of the vehicle without regard to the business-use percentage if the personal-use percentage is treated as income to the employee.

• This is typically the case when you get the use of a company car as an employee benefit.
  • The corporation's deduction for the personal-use percentage is treated as a compensation expense.
  • The employee's income for the personal use of a corporate vehicle is determined based on the market value of the vehicle, not on the actual or standard method used to determine the deduction of the cost to rent a vehicle, for example.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How often should the expenses get submitted. If the vehicle is owned by the employee, can the employee just submit one expense at beginning of the next year for the miles traveled in the previous year and get reimbursed at once; or should this be done more frequently, like monthly or quarterly?

There is no specific time frame that needs to be used ... but you must have a written expense report. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You can do the reimbursement at any interval you want, but the mileage log needs to be completed on a timely basis. You can't just fill it out at the end of the year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies