Solved: Estimated tax
Anonymous
Not applicable

Estimated tax

In 2018, I sent an estimated tax payment of $2300. I assumed the IRS would apply this to my 2019 taxes, as an income tax credit of some sort. Now I'm filling out my 2019 forms and I don't see it anywhere. Why not? Do I have the wrong idea about estimated tax payments?

Estimated tax

When did you send it and how?  Did you send it with a 1040ES payment voucher?  If you sent it in 2018 it would be an estimate for your 2018 return.  

If you sent it in 2019 it is probably a 2019 estimate.  You have to enter it yourself.    You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To it.

OR

To enter Federal or State Estimated Taxes Paid, including a state estimated payment made in January for the prior year, go to

Federal on left or at top.  Personal (Home & Business)

Deductions and Credits at top

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Estimated Taxes - click the start button

Estimated tax

To enter, edit or delete estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen. Click on Jump to estimates paid

Or click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen.
Click on Tools
Click on Topic Search
Type in estimated tax payments, click on GO

Federal estimated taxes paid are entered on Form 1040 Schedule 3 Line 8. The totals for Schedule 3 flow to Form 1040 Line 18d

Estimated tax

OR

Deductions and Credits at top

Estimated tax

TurboTax should include "did you pay estimated taxes" as part of the interview process. They ask a lot of other obscure questions, but not this one and it could cost someone a boatload of money if overlooked.

I've used TT for years and am satisfied with it for sure, but this oversight seemed pretty big.

Estimated tax

Well if you forget to enter estimated payments you made the IRS usually will automatically add it to your refund for you and send it back.

Estimated tax

I had to pay estimated taxes for 2019.  Where can I see  a listing of those payments being received by the IRS?

Estimated tax

Please go this IRS webpage. Look on the right: View Your Balance and Payment History.

Create your account and follow the steps and see what it tells you about your payment history.

Estimated tax

do I have to estimated taxes if I received a refund in 2019 . I sold stock and will have 1000,000 more in 2020 income

Estimated tax

If you will have a million $ more income in 2020 you need to use a real accountant or CPA and not a do it yourself tax program.  Probably need a financial planner too.

Estimated tax

I paid estimated taxes in 2019 in the amount of $2240. Where is that listed in the 2019 forms?

Estimated tax

@werobinson

Do a Search (upper right) for estimated tax payments and click on the jump-to link. You can enter both Federal and state estimated tax payments here.

Estimated tax

@werobinson  - Line 8 of Schedule 3, on the federal form.  It will also be included in the amount on line 18d of form 1040. 

Estimated tax

I completely agree!