Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error on credit limit worksheet for form 8839

We were only allowed $3300 on line 19 of our 1040, but for some reason the credit limit worksheet for form 8839 keeps pulling in $3800 for line 3. That amount is found on the schedule 8812 under 15a. It says it comes from a credit limit worksheet A. However, later in the form it says that only $3300 should be transferred to the 1040, which it is. However, somehow that $3800 shows back up on the credit limit worksheet for form 8839, which means we aren't getting our full deduction from the 8839 credit. In effect we are losing $500 in credits due to this error, unless there is something I don't understand?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Thank you for your kind response. To my mind, the error is in the Turbo Tax program. Let's say that in the top left hand running totals box, it shows that I owe the IRS $295 (in red). It shows my State refund to be $1,777 (in white).  I told the program that I will send the IRS a check for $295. When I went to efile my  state taxes I expected the program to show a state efile refund to be $1,777. Instead it shows "Your Total Refund: $1,482 (in green).  While in the long run this is technically correct, I will end up with $1,482, I do not think the the program is supposed to be doing this kind of calculation at this stage. It should be showing "Your Total Refund: $1,777" since that is what I am expecting to get back from the State. I did not want to move forward with the efile for the State without getting this clarified. Thank you.

Yes, it is an error in turbotax, but one I am incapable of changing on my own, I've tried. So, I'm putting it out there hoping they will fix it. 🙂

I'm using TurboTax Deluxe. Would it eliminate the problem if I upgraded to another version -more expensive I take it?

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm not sure you need to worry about it. Check the actual 1040 in form view and see if your refund is written there correctly, as well as the state tax return in form view. If they are correct in form view, then those boxes in the top left corner aren't as important. They are only for an easy reference for you, the user. However, if you want others to perhaps comment, go ahead and make it a separate thread, as our situations are actually different. 😊

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies