Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

error message

I get this message when I click on Investment Income; Stock ,Crypto, Bonds, Other." to enter 1099-S sale of land.  I've tried numerous times and can't get past this error message to enter data.

"Hmmm Looks like we hit a snag.  Revisit last topic you were working on to make sure all info is correct"

Why am I getting this and what am I supposed to do?  Last topic was entering 1099-Int forms.  Went back and everything OK.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

error message

it's important to select the category of 'Other' when entering a land sale.

Land is considered investment property if it is not part of a home sale.  Land sales are reported by using the following instruction.

1. Wages & Income, Search (upper right magnifier) > type 1099b > Jump to ... link
  2. Choose to enter the sale yourself - Type it myself
  3. Select Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other
  4. Respond "yes" to Did you sell any investments?  You'll then be asked Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement? answer "no."
  5. Enter one sale at a time
  6. Enter Land Sale Information (sales price, cost basis, purchase and sale dates)
  7. Continue to follow the prompts to complete your sale

There should be no error message once you follow these steps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

error message

There is nothing remotely similar to follow:

1. Wages & Income, Search (upper right magnifier) > type 1099b > Jump to ... link

There is no upper right magnifier. I am using desktop Premier for Mac and I know this is not a home sale. Are these instructions possibly for Deluxe?  I can search in Forms for 1099 B and get worksheets, but too hard to follow.  Also, when I do that it lists 3 untitled worksheets that I cannot delete (they do not show up in the left sidebar under Forms so I don't know where they are.)

I am in Wages and Income.   I go to Investment  Income 1099 B or Broker statements.  Then to Stocks, Crypto, Bonds, Other.  And I cannot get in.   

I am working on 3 different returns.  One of them I successfully entered land sale using the path above..  The other two all I get is the error message to even start.

I went to Forms and deleted everything related to start over (worksheets, etc related to 1099 B.f

Short of deleting the entire return and starting over when I've already entered a lot of data, I don't know what else to do.   

error message

I am replying to myself

For anyone else dealing with sale of land and you get the error message and can't go back and edit, the only thing that works is close return, Quit Turbotax, and re-boot.  Then you can click on Investment Income - stocks, bonds, crypto, other and you will not get the error message

You enter sale of vacant land per the path in my earlier post.  investment income, first selection underneath. 

Caution - if you're working on more than one tax return, you have to quit turbotax and re-boot in between working with each one or the error message still appears in the other return.

Definitely something wrong with software.

Then the Investment income where you enter 1099-B or 1099-S (for other than your home) works

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies