Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Employer reimbursed closing costs

My employer reimbursed my house sale closing costs when I relocated for work, where do I claim that? It was added to my income when reimbursed.
1 Reply
New Member

Employer reimbursed closing costs

You would be able to claim these reimbursed closing costs as a job-related miscellaneous expense.

These deductible miscellaneous expenses are subject to a 2% AGI limitation and are only deductible if you itemize.

To enter your job-related expenses in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

  1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab
  2. Next click on “Deductions and credits”
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “I’ll choose what I work on”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Employment Expenses”
  5. Choose "show more", then Job-related expenses and follow the onscreen instructions

  • Say "yes" to question "Did you have any of these expenses in 2016 for your W-2 income?" under the screen titled "Employment Expenses Related to a W-2".
  • after about 6 to 10 question screens, you will get to a screen titled "Any Other Expenses" you can put this information here "taxable relocation expenses"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies