Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Electric Vehicle Tax Credit Phase out Calculation is Wrong!!

I was excited that the form 8936 was ready online today. However when I entered my information I realized that Turbotax miscalculates the credit. I purchased a Tesla in October 2019. I entered all the information Turbotax claims $7500 credit. In reality due to phase out it should be $7500x 25%= $1,875. 

This will create a huge problem for everybody. Turbotax please fix this ASAP.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Form 8936 Issue Known

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rgstroud

I got the update to Turbotax today and now it is undercalculating my credit.  I bought A Tesla model 3 on June 10th.  I should get $3750 (half the $7500).  That was what I overrided the amount the first time and the return was still rejected.  Now the update says I only get $1875 (only 25% which is only true if you bought the car after Jun 30th).  Now when I override the number back to $3750, Turbotax does not accept my override and still uses the $1875!   HELP!!!

Richard

@rgstroud wrote:

I got the update to Turbotax today and now it is undercalculating my credit.  I bought A Tesla model 3 on June 10th.  I should get $3750 (half the $7500).  That was what I overrided the amount the first time and the return was still rejected.  Now the update says I only get $1875 (only 25% which is only true if you bought the car after Jun 30th).  Now when I override the number back to $3750, Turbotax does not accept my override and still uses the $1875!   HELP!!!

Richard

Delete the form 8936 and re-enter.

rgstroud

Never mind.  I figured out you have to put in the maximum credit for the form to calculate from So if you put the $7500 maxim.  Turbotax will now calculate based on the purchase date the %50 and gave me the correct credit calculation.  Thanks,

Richard

rgstroud

Thanks that worked. It is not intuitive. Between this and other challenges TT is not doing a good job this year. Very possible some folks will under credit themselves.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies