Economic Impact Payment Entry

Schr4Brun

Economic Impact Payment Entry

I'm going through my aunt's 2020 return and thought she didn't receive the $1200 in 2020 so I said no on the specific question in the TurboTax program.  I realize now she did get the payment.  Which screen do I go to in the program to change my response?  I've looked and looked and can't find it.

Thanks...Kurt

DianeW777

Economic Impact Payment Entry

You will need to update your Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) worksheet to reconcile all of your stimulus payments on your 2020 tax return.

IRS Recovery Rebate Credit

Select Federal Review at the top of the page > Continue to answer the questions for Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount

TurboTax will then include any stimulus amount due on their 1040 form - either added to their refund or it will reduce the amount due.

Check Form 1040, Line 30, for any amount or zero depending on what you have previously received.

By using the Tax Tools you can take a quick review of your 1040:

• To find Tools: 
    • Sign into your TurboTax account and open or continue your return. 
    • Select Tax Tools in the left menu. 
    • You'll find Tools beneath Tax Tools.
    • Select View Tax Summary
    • Select Preview My 1040 (left black panel)
Schr4Brun

Economic Impact Payment Entry

Thanks...it wasn't obvious to me that this was part of the Federal review stage.  The return was showing $1800 in refund which I wasn't too sure about.  My aunt did get the $1200 check but she passed away before the $600 check was issued.  Now her refund is $600.  I guess that makes sense but what do I know!!  All I can do is go forward with her return.

Kurt

NCperson

Economic Impact Payment Entry

even though she passed away before the 2nd stimulus was issued, her estate is eligible for the 2nd stimulus.

Schr4Brun

Economic Impact Payment Entry

Ah...that makes sense.  Thanks...Kurt

NCperson

Economic Impact Payment Entry

for the 1st stimulus, it was very confusing as Congress hadn't considered people who had passed away, so the IRS said if you passed away BEFORE receiving the stimulus, you had to return it . What a cluster!

for the 2nd stimulus, Congress solved the problem by stating in the law that any taxpayer who died after 12/31/19 was still eligible for the 2nd stimulus (as long as all the other criteria were met)

similarly, for the 3rd stimulus, any taxpayer who died after 12/31/20 is still eligible for the stimulus (as long as all the other criteria are met)