Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Earned Income Credit notd calculating correctly

I'm doing taxes for my daughter. She is not getting the full Earned income credit that she qualifies for. Is it possible if the father claimed him on his taxes that turbotax won't give her the credit?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

We are missing some information.  Who is "him" that may have been claimed?  Does your daughter have a child who she is claiming as her dependent?  Not sure what you mean by the "full" amount of EIC.  The amount of earned income credit is based on the person's filing status, how many children and on how much income they earned by working.   

Please use the IRS tool for help with the amount of EITC:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My daughter is single and has 1 son (him). Her income is 42k, so I'm expecting $3995. Turbo Tax is coming up with $693. 

@lbmont wrote:

My daughter is single and has 1 son (him). Her income is 42k, so I'm expecting $3995. Turbo Tax is coming up with $693. 

The maximum AGI for someone who is single and has one dependent is $46,560 for EIC.  Since she has an AGI of $42,000 that is on the bottom slope of the EIC bell curve so receiving $693 for EIC would be appropriate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies