Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

During Review, Taxes Jumped From $283 to $1,477

During the review process, I was prompted to check a box for either "All investment is at risk" or "Some investment is not at risk". 

TurboTax never prompted me to answer this questions, and I see the check boxes are on Schedule C of my profit and loss sheet

But I obviously checked the wrong box as my tax jumped from $283 to $1,477. I think I checked "Some investment is not at risk" but I'm not sure.

How do I go back to check the correct box to put my taxes due at $283.  

I assume now that I should have checked "All investments is at risk" but this "investment" only pertains to sole trader/self employed deductions for a single self-employed person.

Fortunately, I paid and downloaded my 1040 forms a few weeks ago so I have copies reflecting I owe $283.  So I'll compared my 2022 1040 to previous years to try and find the answer to which box I should have checked.

On another note, I live and worked overseas for 289 days in 2022, so I do not qualify to use form 2555 exclusion yet. But TurboTax kept prompting me to fill in form 2555, because it see I earned overseas income. Is this a bug in the TurboTax system?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

As a footnote, my previously filed income taxes for the past 7 years, all using TurboTax, I was never prompted to check either of those boxes, which are boxes 32a and 32b on Schedule C from Profit & Loss.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

If everything that has been invested in the company is from your funds, and therefore any loss by the company comes out of your pocket (and is not covered for you by someone else), then it is likely that all of the investment is at risk.  If funds are from sources other than your own, then some or non of the investments are at risk would apply.  You will need to determine if the funds are from your own funds or an outside source to answer the questions in TurboTax.  

@frankbiganski 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies