Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does the 21 day processing time include weekends?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
MeganS

It should include weekends since it does not specify 21 business days. The 21 days is the timeline that the IRS hopes to meet it could take additional time depending upon your return and the volume that they receive.

Gloryann
Returning Member

My taxes were accepted on Jan 28th and it's still saying being processed what's going on

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in less than 21 days.  For one out of 10 taxpayers eligible for a refund, it will take 21 or more days to receive it, by the IRS’s accounting.

See the IRS’s Let Us Help You page for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cilleck

Does the processing days to get refunds include weekends

Agregory474
Returning Member

Mine was too, and it also says being processed. 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

Yes. The 21 days includes weekends. However, some refunds can take longer, specifically those with refundable tax credits. If you have Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit, your refund could be delayed for additional processing. The PATH Act created extra due diligence by the IRS on returns claiming these credits. You can find additional information in the link below. You may also track your refund status with the IRS Where's My Refund tool.

PATH Act

Where's My Refund

Mad Cow

It’s been 23 days and I hadn’t receive my refund. All it’s says still processing. Should I call the irs or wait? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can call them (800) 829-4477 or use  Where's My Refund?.They may be reviewing your return. They could send you a letter asking for additional information. If you had refundable credits, those refunds are just being processed.

@Mad Cow

They didn't start accepting refunds until February 12th so the date would start on February 12th

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The IRS states that they issue most refunds in less than 21 calendar days from the date the return was accepted by the IRS.  This is a target only and not a guarantee. 

It can take anywhere from a few hours to 3 weeks for the IRS to officially accept your return and then your information should show in the Refund tool within 24 hours of acceptance. 

You can check the status of your refund by going to the IRS Refunds  page. You can click on the Check My Refund Status link or download the IRS2Go app for your mobile device. Wait at least 24 hours after your return has been accepted 

If you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), you can expect to get your refund as soon as the first week of March if:

I have been waiting and on day 17 now but when I call the number It says it was filed on the 12th but not yet received what is going on do I need to call and speak with somebody

Yes. The 21 days includes weekends. However, some refunds can take longer, specifically those with refundable tax credits. If you have Earned Income Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit, your refund could be delayed for additional processing.

The IRS has a tool that you can use to check the status of your refund.  Here is the link.

@ecannon1982

Since it's charges people interest when the taxpayer is late, I wonder if I'll see interest from them on my stimulus check

I have been seeing this with thousands on a few groups I am in. I've also seen that the updates on the IRS site are not working properly hundreds of people already paid and it still States processing or accepted just by chance they check their cards and they had their refunds. But I've also seen all kinds of people as myself included in the same boat it's crazy to me they tell you to call if it's been 21 days or more however can't get through to a human it just hangs up on you wow what a great system we have!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies