Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my 20yrs son @ colledge need to file tax return to get refund? He earned $4000 and tax deducted $400. He also has foreign bank >$50,000 so need to file form 8938?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Does my 20yrs son @ colledge need to file tax return to get refund? He earned $4000 and tax deducted $400. He also has foreign bank >$50,000 so need to file form 8938?

There is no way for him to get a refund of withheld taxes without filing a tax return.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

There is no way for him to get a refund of withheld taxes without filing a tax return.

Thanks.  In this case does he need to submit form 8938 as well, given owing >$50,000 foreign bank asset?  If so can he still use form 1040EZ or needs to be 1040?
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

The instructions for Form 8938 indicate it can be attached to several returns including Form 1040.  Forms 1040-A and EZ are not included.

Great - thanks!

May I ask one more clarification?  For my tax return, I will count him as dependent (thus he was withdrawn $400 from his income).  Still he can file his own tax return above to get his tax refund (he should pay no tax), correct?
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

You can claim him as a dependent so long as he did not provide more than 1/2 of his own support, and he can file his return and get a refund of any withheld tax.

Thanks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies