Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does having foreign bank accounts (assets don’t exceed $10,000) restrict me to use 1040 to file return and report interest earned? I satisfy 1040EZ conditions otherwise.

I don’t need to file 8938 or FinCEN Form 114 because my combined foreign accounts don’t exceed $10,000 but TurboTax is asking me to upgrade to deluxe and file 1040. Is it really necessary to file the longer form? Because I satisfy all the 1040EZ conditions. Is it because I need to declare my foreign assets on my tax return and that can only be done on 1040?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does having foreign bank accounts (assets don’t exceed $10,000) restrict me to use 1040 to file return and report interest earned? I satisfy 1040EZ conditions otherwise.

Yes, that is correct.  Because there is a disclosure requirement for foreign bank accounts, this information is reported using the long Form 1040.

Here is what the IRS states:

If you have a foreign account you must report this on your tax return.

The taxpayer must disclose whether or not there is a financial interest, or signature authority over, a financial account or trust, in a foreign country.  If your answer is Yes to any of these then this information is reported on Part III of Schedule B.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, that is correct.  Because there is a disclosure requirement for foreign bank accounts, this information is reported using the long Form 1040.

Here is what the IRS states:

If you have a foreign account you must report this on your tax return.

The taxpayer must disclose whether or not there is a financial interest, or signature authority over, a financial account or trust, in a foreign country.  If your answer is Yes to any of these then this information is reported on Part III of Schedule B.

Schedule B can be submitted with Form 1040A as well, so why does TuboTax require Deluxe Upgrade?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies