turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mrmjenks
Returning Member

Do I qualify for a HSA in 2018 if my plan deductible is $0, but my out of pocket cost maximum is $6,000 and family maximum is $12,000.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Do I qualify for a HSA in 2018 if my plan deductible is $0, but my out of pocket cost maximum is $6,000 and family maximum is $12,000.

Unfortunately, no.

The IRS is very specific about the HDHP that is required in order to have an HSA.

"A high deductible plan (HDHP) can be combined with a health savings account (HSA), allowing you to pay for certain medical expenses with money free from federal taxes. The IRS defines a high deductible health plan as any plan with a deductible of at least $1,350 for an individual or $2,700 for a family." (Emphasis added.)

Source: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/high-deductible-health-plan/

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

Unfortunately, no.

The IRS is very specific about the HDHP that is required in order to have an HSA.

"A high deductible plan (HDHP) can be combined with a health savings account (HSA), allowing you to pay for certain medical expenses with money free from federal taxes. The IRS defines a high deductible health plan as any plan with a deductible of at least $1,350 for an individual or $2,700 for a family." (Emphasis added.)

Source: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/high-deductible-health-plan/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies