Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

amyk

Do I need to give my client of my house cleaning service a w9 if she has a home business office that I clean?

My client has a business she runs from her home and for the first time in the many years I've been cleaning her house she has given asked for a w9 from me.  I am not contract labor for my clients but is this different because of her home office?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Do I need to give my client of my house cleaning service a w9 if she has a home business office that I clean?

Yes, if you have your own cleaning business and a client wants you to fill out a W-9, you should do it.

However, I would recommend against putting your Social Security Number on it.  You can apply for a free Employer Identification Number (EIN) here:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-n...

Sorry, I gave you the wrong link, but have updated it now.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-n...>
amyk

I'm not a contractor for her business.  Does she need one for every service person that works in her home?

If you are cleaning her business home office, you ARE a contractor for her business.

Yes, she would need one from anybody that performs services that affect her home office.
amyk

thank you
Bonditz

Our cleaning business is setup as a single member LLC with its own EIN. We clean for people with Airbnb properties, offices and some home offices as well. Would we still need to fill out a W-9?

RachelW33
Expert Alumni

@Bonditz Yes, if you are receiving payment for providing cleaning services for AirBnb properties, home offices, etc., you should fill out a Form W9 when your customer requests it.  They will need this information to complete and file Form 1099-MISC with the IRS.

Click here for the IRS link to Form W9 and Instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies