Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I list the cost basis for inherited, sold vacant land from as far as I can find records for and do I list only my % share?

The land was inherited in 1982 and is shared by 4 siblings. The oldest value found is from 2003. Will that work?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Do I list the cost basis for inherited, sold vacant land from as far as I can find records for and do I list only my % share?

It is best to list the cost basis as accurately as you can.  If you don't have records from earlier than 2003 (which is a significant amount of time past 1982) you may want to enlist some assistance from a professional to determine the approximate value of the land at the time of the inheritance. 

Keep in mind that the cost basis of an inherited asset is the value of the asset on the date of death of the person from whom you inherited (unless the estate elected an alternate valuation date, which is not common.)

In TurboTax, only report your 25% share of both the basis and the sale to calculate your individual gain.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

It is best to list the cost basis as accurately as you can.  If you don't have records from earlier than 2003 (which is a significant amount of time past 1982) you may want to enlist some assistance from a professional to determine the approximate value of the land at the time of the inheritance. 

Keep in mind that the cost basis of an inherited asset is the value of the asset on the date of death of the person from whom you inherited (unless the estate elected an alternate valuation date, which is not common.)

In TurboTax, only report your 25% share of both the basis and the sale to calculate your individual gain.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Your cost basis is the fair market value of the property on the date the original owner passed. Not the date your name was was put on the deed and you acquired legal ownership.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies