Do I have to file form 8938 have only signatory authority over accounts in Canada (aunt's bank accts)

I am an American citizen who lives in NY. My aunt is a Canadian resident and citizen. She is elderly, and needed help with her finances. We went to her bank and I obtained signatory authority over her accounts. She is the owner of all the funds in the accounts. She pays taxes on all the income earned. I help her manage. Do I have to file Form 8938 as I do not own any accounts, just help her pay bills, etc.

I know I have to file the FBar form. That I understand. Confused on the 8938 form.

MinhT

It appears that you only have a power of attorney and/or signing authority on your aunt's accounts.

You do not have to file form 8938 if you do not have an interest in these accounts.

Please refer to the IRS instructions for form 8938:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8938.pdf

MinhT

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing