Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependents

When my girlfriend moves in with me. I will be supporting her. I will be providing 100% financially support. With medical; health premiums etc. So can I use her as a dependent when I file my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Dependents

You cannot claim your GF as a dependent unless she lives with you for the entire year and has less than $4700 of income --not counting Social Security.  If she has not moved in yet, then you will not be able to claim her for 2024, since it is already late March.

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Dependents

I should had made it known. She hadn't yet moved in. But if she moves in in April, 2024. Is that when the time begins that I could claim her for 2025?

Dependents

No.   If she was not moved in by January 1, 2024, you cannot claim her for tax year 2024.   You cannot claim her when you prepare your 2024 tax return next year in 2025, because she will not have lived with you for the entire twelve months of 2024.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Dependents

No, the rules state that she must live with you the entire year, So, 2024 has already gone by.

You may be able to claim her as a dependent on your 2025 taxes, but you will not file them until 2026.

Bottom line ... Don't have her move in just to get a tax break!

To qualify her as a dependent  

• Your partner must have lived with you for the entire calendar year 
  • She must have listed your home as her official residence for the full year. 
  • Her gross income must be less than $4,700 for tax year 2023.(Will probably be higher in 2025)
  • She can not be claimed by anyone else as a dependent.

For more details please see: Can I Claim a Boyfriend/Girlfriend as a Dependent on Income Taxes?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies